10.1.11

A Great and Terrible Beauty 3/5


So I had heard a lot of good things about this book, which naturally led me to have many expectations. And I have to say, unfortunately, that this book disappointed me a great deal. I thought that it was slow paced, that you received too little information to even know what was going on and, quite frankly, that the plot was boring. 

The story is about sixteen-year-old Gemma, who has lived in India all of her life. When she sees her mother die in a vision and it actually happens, she is sent to a boarding school in England. There she meets a group of girls, and together they explore the magic which led Gemma to have that first vision, while being warned not to by the mysterious Kartik. 

I do think that Bray is a magnificent writer. She really is. And I'm not really saying that I disliked the book or anything like that. It just disappointed me because I had too many expectations. I am going to read the sequel, though, because I was intrigued, and I've heard that the series gets better. Hopefully it won't disappoint me! Another thing I have to say is that I think Bray managed to write the time period perfectly. Kudos!

Okay, so just to be clear: This book was good, not great. Good enough to continue reading the series, though! 

3 out of 5

Read: Jan 05-09, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment