4.4.11

The Secret Garden 5/5


This was the book I would read while I sat on the metro, and it would always bring a smile to my face. I'm not a big fan of gardens and plants, but I loved how the book portrayed the whole thing. I loved how it portrayed everything like it was a miracle. I think people on the metro must have thought I had lost my mind with the way I would have a huge grin on my face one moment, then would have tears in my eyes the next one.

The book centers around Mary, a grumpy and selfish girl who has lived all her life in India, until she is sent to Yorkshire, England to live with her absent and depressed uncle when her parents die. She learns that her late aunt had loved roses and had a garden which she loved. When she died, her uncle locked the garden and threw away the keys and decided that the garden was never to be talked about again. She is intrigued by this secret garden, and is determined to find the lost key.

I love reading books from a child's' perspective, when they are written well. They are so innocent. The way they think is so beautiful. They would never think anyone would do anything to hurt them, so when you, as a reader, see a child so deeply broken by the world around it that it doesn't even know it is, it's devastating.

It's such a sad story, and yet so beautiful. I do think you need to be in the right mind set, though, to read this book. It is a very easy book to enjoy, I would say. The ending is a bit abrupt, but the rest is very good!

5/5!

Read: Apr 01-03, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment